2010 Awards for Excellence

Rehabilitation Medallion Award:
McPherson Opera House – McPherson, Kansas

560_McPherson_Opera_HouseListed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1972, by 1986 local residents organized the McPherson Opera House Preservation Company in an effort to save the building from destruction.  Still with an uncertain future, KPA placed the building on its Most Endangered list in 1998.  Rehabilitation of the 1888 McPherson Opera House began in September 2005 with the grand re-opening held on January 28, 2010.

Rehabilitation Medallion Award:
Wichita Carnegie Library – Wichita, KS

560_wichita_carnegie_libraryThe former Wichita Carnegie Library is one of sixty-three Carnegie libraries in Kansas listed In the National Register of Historic Places.  When it opened in May 1915, the Wichita Eagle described it as “Wichita’s temple of learning.”  In 1966 the City completed a new central library across the street and the former Carnegie Library building became the Municipal Court and later a planetarium.  The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1987, shortly before it was closed and mothballed.  Fidelity Bank purchased the Carnegie Library building from the City in 2007 and completed a full rehabilitation, sensitively linking the building with the bank’s corporate offices directly to the south.

Rehabilitation Certificate of Honor:
First National Bank – Hiawatha, KS

420_First_national_bank_hiawathaThe former First National Bank building has been a local landmark in Hiawatha since its construction in 1891.  This significant commercial building is a contributing resource in the National Register-listed Hiawatha Courthouse Square Historic District.  The building was vacant for more than fifteen years until the Brown County Historical Society purchased the building for a complete rehabilitation in honor of local resident, Frances Sewell Plamann.  Work began in the fall of 2008 and it now houses the local history museum and offices for the City of Hiawatha.

Rehabilitation Certificate of Honor:
Abilene Pool Bath House – Abilene, KS

560_Abilene_pool_bathhouseConstructed in 1937, the Abilene Pool Bath House was a project of the Works Project Administration.  The pool complex was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2002 as part of the Abilene City Park Historic District under the Multiple Property Documentation Form for New Deal Era Resources of Kansas.  Although the swimming pool was replaced, the rehabilitation of the Bath House included life and safety codes and ADA compliance improvements while maintaining the historic character of the building.

Rehabilitation Certificate of Honor:
Weaver Hotel  – Waterville, KS

This rusticated560_weaver_hotel concrete block building dates to 1905 when it opened as the Weaver Hotel, which continued in operation until 1985.  Known as the “pride of the Central Line,” a reference to the Union Pacific Railroad that ran through town, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.  Rehabilitated with the contributions and community support generated by the Waterville Preservation Society, the Weaver Hotel reopened on Memorial Day, 2009.

Rehabilitation Certificate of Honor:
Standard Mutual Life Insurance Company Building – Lawrence, KS

562_insurance_company_building_lawrenceAfter a fire substantially destroyed the previous building in 1930, the Standard Mutual Life Insurance Company of Lawrence, Kansas, rebuilt on this site; incorporating the earlier foundation into a new Renaissance Revival style building.  One Two Three, LLC began rehabilitation work in 2008 and the building reopened as leased offices in 2009.  The building is designated as a contributing element to the National Register-listed Lawrence Downtown Commercial Historic District.

← Back to Awards for Excellence